Matteucci Giorgio (Direttore ISAFOM)
Tel. 081 7713492
Fax 081 7718045
- Born in 1964.
- 1991: Graduated (cum laude) in Forest Science, University of Tuscia (Viterbo, Italy).
- 1992 to 1994: Grant holder and consultant at University of Tuscia, Departement of Forest Environment and Resources (DISAFRI), working of forest ecophysiology.
- 1998: PhD in Forest Ecology from University of Padova (Italy).
- 1998 - 2001 Post-doc at DISAFRI working on carbon budget of forest ecosystems.
- Oct. 2001 – July 2004: Research Officer at European Commission, Joint Research Center, Ispra (VA, Italy), Institute for Environment and Sustainability, Climate Change Unit, dealing with biosphere-atmosphere interactions of forest ecosystems; coordinating the Biosphere-Atmosphere Interaction Lab; acting as Technical-Scientific support and consultancy in the field of Greenhouse Gases emissions and removals for Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry (LULUCF) for Environment Directorate General of European Commission.
- July 2004 – present: Researcher (since 2007: Senior Researcher) at the Institute for Agriculture and Forestry Systems in the Mediterranean of the National Research Council of Italy (CNR-ISAFOM). During this period, his research activities were carried on in strong cooperation with the Institute of Agroenvironmental and Forest Biology (CNR-IBAF).
- His research activities deals with the carbon cycle of forest ecosystems, forest monitoring, long-term ecological research, impact of climate change on forests, sustainable forest management. He coordinates three forest experimental sites.
- Since 1991 he has been involved in several international research projects, mostly funded within the European Union Framework Programmes for Research. Among those, CANIF (IV FP) and FORCAST (V FP) dealing with biomass and productivity of European forest ecosystems through direct sampling; EUROFLUX (IV FP), CarboEuroflux (V FP) and CarboEurope-IP (VI FP), all dealing with canopy fluxes of forest ecosystems; ECOCRAFT (III and IV FP) and LTEEF-II (V FP) dealing with impact of elevated CO2 on forest ecosystems and in the integrated project CIRCE (VI FP) Climate Change and Impact Research in the Mediterranean Environment. He coordinated a Research Unit within the italian PRIN project on old-growth beech forest (2008-2010). From 2009 to 2011, he participated to the LIFE+ project FutMon on “Further Development and Implementation of an EU-level Forest Monitoring System”.
- He was involved in the VII FP projects GHG-Europe “Greenhouse gas management in European land use systems” (2010-2013) and ExpeER “Experimentation in Ecosystem Research”, an infrastructure projects running from 2010 to May 2015. Furthermore, he has coordinated the experimental action with the LIFE+ project EnvEurope “Environmental quality and pressures assessment across Europe: the LTER network as an integrated and shared system for ecosystem monitoring”, with 16 partners of 11 EU countries involved (2010 – 2013).
- He coordinates the LIFE+ project ManFor C.BD. “Managing forests for multiple purposes: carbon, biodiversity and socio-economic wellbeing”, with 6 partners of 2 EU countries (2010 – 2015), dealing with sustainable forest management and indicators.
- Within LifeWatch-Ita, dr. Matteucci coordinates the Thematic Centers dealing with natural collections, ecological interactions and the Mediterranean environment. The Centers are the founding pieces of the Distributed Institute of Biodiversity.
- Since 2012, Dr. Matteucci coordinates the Italian Long Term Ecological Research network (LTER-Italy).
- He is member of the PhD programme in Forest Ecology and Sustainability Sciences at University of Tuscia (Viterbo, Italy) and is lecturer of Forest Ecology at the Bachelor Programme in Forest and Environmental Science at the same University. He has had several teaching experiences, including Forest Ecology for three years at University of Reggio Calabria and Forest Landscape at University of Roma and Viterbo for four years.
- He has published more than 140 extended papers (60 ISI), including two papers in Nature, one in Science and one in Nature Geoscience; he has participated to several national and international workshop and congresses, with more than 100 oral and poster presentations and several invited lectures.
- H-index (on January 2015): ISI-WOS: 24; GoogleScholar: 32.
- He is member of the Editorial Board of iforest – Biogeosciences and Forestry (ISI) and of Annals of Silvicultural Research
- He is member of the Italian Society of Silviculture and Forest Ecology (SISEF) since 1996, being member of its Coordinating Committee from 2007 to 2011 and Auditor from 2011. He is member of the Italian Society of Ecology since 1999, for which is member of the Executive Committe since 2015. He is Associated Member of the Italian Academy of Forest Sciences since 2011.